Here's What Happens When You Blow Out Birthday Candles [STUDY]

All the huffing and puffing we do to blow out the candles on our birthday cake can increase the bacteria on a cake by 1,400 percent, according to a recent study.

Researchers at Clemson University had people eat pizza before blowing out candles on an iced hunk of Styrofoam. When they measured bacterial contamination, it varied from person to person. 

“Some people blow on the cake and they don’t transfer any bacteria,” explains Professor Paul Dawson. “Whereas you have one or two people who for whatever reason… transfer a lot of bacteria.”

Turns out the blowing increases the amount of bacteria on the frosting by an average of 15 times. However, he doesn’t think most birthday cake eaters will actually get sick from all those germs.

“It’s not a big health concern in my perspective,” Dawson says. “In reality, if you did this 100,000 times, then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal.”

Source: New York Post; photo: Getty Images

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content