I started to get crafty in the kitchen during quarantine, which is when I had the idea to DIY my favorite summer treat: an ice cream cookie sandwich. I usually buy them from the store, but since I had nothing better to do, I made them myself. Here's how:
What I used:
- Simple Mills' almond flour baking mix (chocolate chip cookie) from Whole Foods
- 365's almond milk vanilla bean ice cream from Whole Foods
What I did:
- Followed the baking instructions on the back of the Simple Mills box. However, instead of rolling the dough into balls, I used a spoon to scoop the mix into fluffy circles on the cookie sheet because I wanted the cookies to be big. So instead of making 12 small cookies, I made six large ones.
- I baked the cookies for 10 minutes
- After I took them out of the oven, I put them (on the cookie sheet) in the freezer for an hour.
- Once I pulled them out of the freezer, I flipped over three cookies and scooped ice cream onto them. Then I used the remaining three cookies to (literally) top them off.
Photo: Raven Brinson