March 8 marks International Women’s Day, and to celebrate, we’re honoring 15 female recording artists who paid some serious respect to other women in the industry. Today is a day where we celebrate women, so let’s let the singers and rappers below do the talking.
1. Cardi B on Madonna, via Instagram
“I met my real life IDOL @madonna .I can’t even believe i performed at her event and it was the most meaningful performance ever.I grew up with my mom listening to Madonna for hours .I performed Material Girl freshman year in High school, listen to her on all my photo shoots to have super confidence and always mentioned her in my interviews .The best part about it is she was everything i thought she would be a Liberal Kick a** feminist b*tch 😱😱I’m soo happy”
2. Selena Gomez on Demi Lovato’s documentary, via Twitter
"This was beautiful. I'm so happy for you. You always continue to be bold and real. I wish more people were like you."
3. Beyoncé on Adele, via Vanity Fair
“When Adele sings you can hear that it’s coming from an unfiltered honesty and purity. She creates songs that go deep and expose pain and vulnerability with her soulful voice. She takes you places other artists don’t go to anymore — the way they did in the ‘70s. It is so easy to talk to her and be around her. She’s funny as hell and her comebacks are legendary.”
4. Adele on Beyoncé, via Instagram
“Beyoncé is the most inspiring person I’ve ever had the pleasure of worshipping. Her talent, beauty, grace and work ethic are all in a league of their own.”
5. Lorde on Taylor Swift, via Rookie Mag
"She is so good as a performer. I don’t think people realized how difficult a stadium is to perform in.You have to change how you move and how you talk to accommodate that scale, and she is so good at that. It feels natural when she does it. I’m so in awe of her ability, it’s insane.”
6. Rihanna on Mariah Carey, 2012 interview with Andy Cohen, via Vibe
“Her voice is an instrument. It’s unreal really.”
7. Missy Elliott on Cardi B when “Bodak Yellow” hit Number 1, via Twitter
8. Demi Lovato on Selena Gomez, after the pair’s friendship had allegedly dissipated, via Twitter
“.@selenagomez, loving your new song Fetish. We’ve come a long way since our Barney days 💗"
9. Ariana Grande on Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl performance, via Instagram
“VOCALS, POWER AND SUCH BEAUTIFUL ENERGY ... that was so special @ladygaga … congratulations and much much love from a fellow Italian American music loving human “
10. SZA on Rihanna’s “Collaboration,” via Vice
“Originally, it was a song I wrote for my album. Then we bonded. If there's anybody that I could imagine singing my words, it would be her. She has the same tone, the same attitude; she's so strong. Aside from just being beautiful, Rihanna doesn't give a f*ck and she just does what she wants. I love it.”
11. Miley Cyrus on Little Sister, Noah Cyrus via Twitter
“My #1. The coolest girl I know. Sickest songwriter. Vocalist. Style Goddess. & above all the best little sister I could’ve ever asked for. @noahcyrus @RecordingAcad
12. Alicia Keys on Jada Pinkett Smith, Michelle Obama, JLo, and Lady Gaga’s Grammy Appearances, Twitter
“I feel ultimate gratitude and deeply supported AND LOVED by these women @jajapsmith @MichelleObama @JLo @ladygaga. The desire we all felt to share our support for each other and for everyone a part of last night was so real and so genuine. I’m OVERFLOWING! #aboutlastnight
13. Ariana Grande on Miley Cyrus’s Cover of No Tears Left To Cry, Twitter
“I love that voice and soul sm @MileyCyrus @MarkRonson @BBCR1”
14. Lady Gaga on Cardi B, Twitter
“It is so hard to be a woman in this industry. What it takes, how hard we work through the disrespectful challenges, just to make art. I love you Cardi. You deserve your awards. Let’s celebrate her fight. Lift her up & honor her. She is brave.”
15. Fletcher on Maggie Rogers’ debut album release, Twitter
“you guys aren’t ready for this beautiful, honest record from my sweet @maggierogers”
16. Cher on Lady Gaga, Twitter
"Gotta <3 her"
PHOTOS: Getty Images